"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Welcome to Infoshop News
Friday, October 24 2014 @ 11:52 AM CDT

Email Article To a Friend View Printable Version

Noam Chomsky: Just Whose National Security?

The State

In the past several months, we have been provided with instructive lessons on the nature of state power and the forces that drive state policy. And on a closely related matter: the subtle, differentiated concept of transparency. The source of the instruction, of course, is the trove of documents about the National Security Agency surveillance system released by the courageous fighter for freedom Edward J. Snowden, expertly summarized and analyzed by his collaborator Glenn Greenwald in his new book, “No Place to Hide.”

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Noam Chomsky: Edward Snowden, the World's "Most Wanted Criminal"

The State

In the past several months, we have been provided with instructive lessons on the nature of state power and the forces that drive state policy. And on a closely related matter: the subtle, differentiated concept of transparency.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

The "Deep State" - How Much Does It Explain?

The State

Everyone knows about the military-industrial complex, which, in his farewell address, President Eisenhower warned had the potential to “endanger our liberties or democratic process” but have you heard of the “Deep State?”

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Mass Arrests During ’04 Convention Leave Big Bill and Lingering Mystery

The State

The final costs of settling civil rights lawsuits brought by hundreds of people who were swept up in mass arrests during the 2004 Republican National Convention — many of whom were breaking no laws whatsoever — are likely to be well over $35 million. That would make the convention lawsuits among the costliest ever defended by New York City. In a decade of litigation led by the city’s former chief lawyer, Michael A. Cardozo, the Bloomberg administration proved unable to justify the mass arrests made during the last days of August 2004, but was successful in shrouding much of the spying done on political groups by the Police Department’s Intelligence Division.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Witness to Betrayal: scott crow on the Exploits and Misadventures of FBI Informant Brandon Darby

The State

scott's note on the piece: This is a difficult post for me, but I want to put it out there with reservations. It feels toxic and relieving at the same time for this to come out.

I have been asked numerous times to do long interviews just about Brandon Darby only, but have always refused until now. After the films and all of the other pieces here and there I thought I would tell everything from my perspective I could including my mistakes and regrets. This interview covers most everything of my interactions with him from the beginning. It doesn't tell anyone else's stories (and there are a lot). It was conducted by author Kristian Williams (who has written extensively on police repression and informers). He did an excellent and thorough job with it. I will not ever do one like this again.

It was too difficult and let's be honest the rat doesn't deserve the space. My apologies if it is triggering to anyone else Thanks for reading this.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

The Strange Case of Vahid Brown, Counter-Terrorism Trainer and Clueless Hipster

The State

After revelations that he had trained FBI agents at West Point’s Combating Terrorism Center, Vahid Brown found himself suddenly unwelcome in Portland’s radical scene.Word of his past career had circulated quietly among activists for some time, along with a printed flier outlining his resume and citing readily available documentation.  Then, in early October, the Committee Against Political Repression (of which I am a member) posted that information on our blog, alongside links to source material — specifically, the author bio from Brown’s book, an interview he did with NPR, and CTC documents evaluating his trainings.  Weeks later this teapot-sized tempest was front-page news, with Vice magazine asking whether we were running a “witch hunt,” and Willamette Week arguing simultaneously that we “should be paranoid” and that we “outed the wrong guy.”

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Gordon Brown 'discussed troops on streets' in 2008 economic crisis

The State

Gordon Brown discussed deploying troops on Britain's streets as news of the 2008 financial crisis became clear, an ex-Labour spin doctor has claimed. In extracts of a book published in the Daily Mail, Damian McBride said the former prime minister feared "anarchy" once the scale of the crisis was known. According to the book, Mr Brown said: "We'd have to think: do we have curfews, do we put the Army on the streets, how do we get order back?"

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Anti-Statism for States

The State

On 19 June, Barack Obama delivered his unwelcome speech in Berlin. His focus was on overcoming the harms of walls, exclusion and fears in the world, although not making any suggestion of more government transparency by the United States itself. Standing in a bullet-proof box as he spoke to a small non-hostile audience, the man did his best to excuse and justify rampant paranoia, deception and state brutality while simultaneously arguing for a world open and free, without walls and fear.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

The Surprising Truth About Government Fraud

The State

Government programs, from food stamps to Medicare, don't have unusually high fraud rates -- and the culprits are usually managers and executives, not "welfare queens."

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

San Francisco: New BART Rules Might Prohibit Demonstrators

The State

Risking arrest isn’t the only obstacle for Northern California protesters — under a new rule about to go into effect, political demonstrators could lose their right to ride public transportation.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us