"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Welcome to Infoshop News
Thursday, October 23 2014 @ 08:44 AM CDT

Email Article To a Friend View Printable Version

Missouri Football's Rape Culture 'And So On And So Forth'

Sports

Following the second major report this year about the failure of the Missouri football team and the athletic department to properly respond to a series of sexual assault allegations, perhaps someone should ask: Why does Mike Alden, athletic director at Missouri since 1998, still have a job?

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

The Anger of the Brazilian Elite and the Lack of Ruling Class National Identification

Sports

The FIFA World Cup is considered one of the biggest events in the world. It should come as no surprise then that the commands of the institution that is run by Seth Blatter should continue to make hundreds of demands against the country that is to welcome the games. In practice, this means that fundamental rights are to be suspended, especially in a country with a “leftist” government. Just another day in the tropical country.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Police use teargas and batons to break up World Cup protest in São Paulo

Police have fired teargas and flash grenades at anti-World Cup protesters trying to block part of the main highway leading to São Paulo's stadium hours before it is due to host the opening match of the tournament, injuring two CNN journalists in the process.

A man is detained by police in a protest over the cost of the World Cup near the Arena Corinthians where the opening match will be played. Photograph: Nelson Antoine/AP

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Golden State Warriors Had the Blueprint For a Dramatic Boycott Ready to Go

SportsThe plan was set, the product of a 30-minute players meeting. The Warriors were going to go through pre-game warm-ups and take part in the national anthem and starting line-up introductions. They were going to take the floor for the jump ball, dapping up the Clippers players as is customary before games. Then once the ball was in the air, they were just going to walk off. All 15 of them.
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Mass World Cup Protests Rock Brazil

Sports

I traveled to Brazil last September to investigate preparations for the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympics. It was painfully evident that the social disruption of hosting two mega-events in rapid succession would be profound. Everyone with whom I spoke in the community of social movements agreed that these sports extravaganzas were going to leave major collateral damage.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

The Biggest Ongoing Scam in Professional Sports Is in Miami

Sports

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria deceived taxpayers, pocketed funds meant for team improvement, traded away high-value players to make a buck. It's time for fans to protest the MLB about it.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Football: We Own the Park

What’s the point of a football club? If we look at the motives of its owners, we’d get some strange answers. It could be a millionaire’s pension fund, a property development opportunity, a shot at a capital gain, a millstone, a tax dodge, an ego-trip, a nest-egg, a birthday present, a promotional tool, a political tool — the list is far from exhaustive.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Super Bowl Banner Drop

SportsNew Orleans, February 3rd, Super Bowl Sunday:

A group of uncontrollable area sports fans, moonlighting as vicious prison abolitionists made a small gesture of sportspersonship. The city government omitted one of its major accomplishments. The gesture was meant to correct this over-site.
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

How Can They Play? Murder, Suicide, And The National Football League

Sports

The NFL has a long and shameful history in handling tragedy. The league played as planned on the Sunday after President John F. Kennedy's assassination. They were going to play the Sunday after 9/11 until the New York Jets rebelled and Major League Baseball canceled its own schedule forcing the NFL to follow suit. Now we have another example of a sport absent of perspective.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

The Olympics: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Sports

I confess I love watching the Olympics.  I know all the arguments about what they have become and what they represent and all that.  I get it, as the post below will demonstrate.  However, I still like to watch it.  I love swimming, since I was once a swimmer...maybe I should call myself a post swimmer.  Of course, I enjoy also the big events in track and field, basketball,  and all that.  I am doing my best to get into soccer like everyone else in the world outside of the USA has long been.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us