"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Welcome to Infoshop News
Sunday, April 20 2014 @ 03:56 PM CDT

Email Article To a Friend View Printable Version

National Day of Solidarity with Albuquerque, May 10th

Police State

It’s early March in the Sandia Foothills of Albuquerque, and the police are approaching a campsite in a seriously militarized and forceful fashion. James Boyd, who had a past of suffering from mental health difficulties, pulled out two small knives, fearfully responding to the aggressive police presence. A nearly 3 hour long standoff ensued, until James Boyce agreed to surrender the camping knives, granted that they wouldn’t harm him. As his back was turned, and he was gathering his belongings from the campsite ready to surrender, a member of the APD murmured “Do it”.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Seven Myths About the Police

Police State

This text is from the back of a poster we recently mass-produced about the function of police in our society.The police exercise legitimate authority. The average police officer is not a legal expert; he probably knows his department protocol, but very little about the actual laws. This means his enforcement involves a great deal of bluffing, improvisation, and dishonesty. Police lie on a regular basis: “I just got a report of someone of your description committing a crime around here. Want to show me some ID?”

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Operation LIPSTICK: A Case Study in Propaganda and Counter Insurgency

Police State

Late last month Open Media Boston posted an article titled Antiviolence Activists Join City Officials To Launch MBTA-Wide Ad Campaign. The campaign in question was for Operation LIPSTICK, aka Ladies Involved In Putting a Stop to Inner-City Killings, an organization that is attempting to reduce shootings in neighborhoods of color by convincing women to stop buying guns for felons (who are legally barred from owning firearms).

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

The Anarchist Case against the Domain Awareness Center

Police State

The project of the Domain Awareness Center (DAC) is as simple as it is ominous; a completely surveilled city and population. It is a sign of what is coming – for all of us. If constructed, it will act as a center for collecting and correlating electronic information across Oakland on people that live there. It will record and document where people travel via their car license plates, facial recognition technology, listening devices, as well as filter and monitor social media in one central location.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Turkish Police Use Force to Break Up Internet Protest

Turkish police fired volleys of tear gas and used water cannons to disperse large crowds of protesters Saturday rallying in central Istanbul against new “draconian” internet laws passed to stifle dissent and stop evidence of high-level corruption being seen online. The new bill was passed late Wednesday by the Turkish parliament which is dominated by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s AKP party.

Riot police take position as they clash with demonstrators during a protest against internet censorship in Istanbul February 8, 2014. Police fired water cannon and teargas to disperse large crowds of protesters in central Istanbul on Saturday against new controls on the Internet approved by parliament this week. REUTERS/Osman Orsal

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Police Profiling & Military Spying: Why I Am Suing the Olympia Police Department

Police State

I still remember where I was when Oscar Grant, an unarmed black man was shot at point blank range by a transit cop while he was lying face down on the cement of an Oakland, California Subway. It was New Year’s Day 2009, two months shy of Grant’s twenty-third birthday, when he was pronounced dead. I was working on my first album, “Love & Rage,” when a member of my hip-hop crew, Thought Crime Collective, rushed over to tell me the news. This extra-judicial murder ignited my growing anger at a justice system that professes equality under the law but prioritizes people according to race, class, sexuality, gender, and politics.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Berkeley Police Review Board Disrupted on Anniversary of Kayla Moore’s Death

Police State

On the evening of February 12th, a small crowd gathered outside Gaia Apartments in downtown Berkeley to demand answers regarding the death of Kayla Moore, a black transgender woman who was killed by six Berkeley police officers in the apartment at the beginning of 2013.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Ontario: International Day Against Police Brutality in Hamilton

Police State

March 15th marks the International Day Against Police Brutality. In the spirit of this day, we are calling for the first annual demo on the streets of downtown Hamilton – in solidarity with struggles against the police globally, and as a manifestation of our own antagonism against the police locally.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

US law enforcement deaths fall to 50-year low, report finds

Police StateThe number of law enforcement deaths dropped to its lowest level in 54 years in 2013, according to a report published on Monday. One hundred and eleven officers died on duty this year, the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund said. The figure marks a decrease from 120 deaths in 2012 and 169 in 2011, and it is the lowest number of law enforcement fatalities since 1959, when 110 officers died on the job.
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Anarchists Express Grief over Huerta’s Death, Gratitude for Protesters’ Courage

Police State

Organizers of the Carrboro Anarchist Book Fair express our grief over the death of Jesus Huerta and our admiration of all who took action in Durham last Friday to confront the police in whose hands he died.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us