"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Welcome to Infoshop News
Saturday, April 19 2014 @ 10:12 PM CDT

Email Article To a Friend View Printable Version

First Annual Cleveland Anarchist Bookfair

Anarchist Movement

The 1st Annual Cleveland Anarchist Bookfair will be held May 9–11 at Guide to Kulchur and will feature speakers from around the country, workshops, and of course music (this is Cleveland after all). Publishers and distros will be on hand to provide you with all your favorite subversive literature.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Chumbawamba’s Long Voyage

Anarchist Movement

The Steve Albini version of the Chumbawamba narrative is by now familiar—they were an awesome underground anarchist squatter punk band who sold out and became a one-hit wonder. They were then quickly tossed away by the record company to make room for the next big thing. Another band came down the the conveyor belt, thinking they’re going to do it differently, and were exploited and used as well, and so on. Like this, bands and careers are made and broken, destined for the landfill.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

A Collaborative Effort

Anarchist Movement

When I was a child, my family spent several summers in Amsterdam. My mother, sister and I toured the city, wandered along the canals, visited the great museums and sampled the local chocolates. My father, meanwhile, buried himself in Amsterdam’s social history library, studying the papers of the anarchists Emma Goldman and Alexander Berkman, known as Sasha.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Wolfi Landstreicher: Strangers in an Alien World

Anarchist Movement

I have been an anarchist for well over thirty years now. For me this has never been an identity to which to cling, a label to give me a sense of belonging. It has rather been an ongoing challenge to face my life in a particular way, constantly raising the question of what it means to reject every form of domination and exploitation in my life on a practical level. This is not a simple question with easy answers, but a problem that I have to wrestle with constantly, because I am facing a world here and now in which domination and exploitation define social relationships, in which most individuals are dispossessed of every possibility of determining their own existence, alienated from the creative energy through which such a project could be realized. As an anarchist, I have made a decision to reject and fight against this world.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

The Base: NYC's Newest Anarchist Space

Anarchist Movement

Six months ago we opened The Base with some modest and some ambitious intentions. We wanted to create a venue where young people and the broader populace could engage with anarchist and revolutionary ideas and organizing models in a respectful and open way. We also wanted to create a model and platform where revolutionary modes of organizing could spread beyond the space and interact with the city/country/world in new ways. So we found a storefront and have created the only public anarchist space in NYC.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

New Zine Available: Towards an Anarchist Ecology

Anarchist Movement

In May 2013, we started a series of articles called Towards an Anarchist Ecology. This series was based on a workshop of the same name we had been giving in South-western Ontario that set out to offer a precise critique of mainstream ecology and to offer some starting points for developing an anarchist knowing of the land. We released the last of the eight essays in mid-January 2014, and are now excited to release them in a new format, collected all together into a zine! It is available for download at: https://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2014/01/28/18749898.php

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

January/February 2014 Kate Sharpley Library Bulletin online

Anarchist MovementKSL: Bulletin of the Kate Sharpley Library No. 77, January/February 2014 has just been posted on the site. You can get to the contents here http://www.katesharpleylibrary.net/1zcsgp or read the full pdf here http://www.katesharpleylibrary.net/z08n8s
  • Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Winnipeg: Anarchist café and bookstore, Mondragon, closing doors for good this month

Anarchist Movement

The Mondragon cafe and bookstore, Winnipeg’s anarchist icon, will close in one week, ending an 18-year run of lefty politics, co-operative management and southern fried tofu. "We’ve had a rough year, a rough couple of years, financially," said Cora Wiens, one of Mondragon’s remaining workers. "I think a lot of people are really sad about it and are now realizing what this place has meant."

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

NATO 3: Prosecution Reduces Charges to 7 of the Original 11

Anarchist Movement

The NATO 3—Brent Betterly, Brian Jacob Church, and Jared Chase—sat through another full day of jury selection today. Jury selection will resume tomorrow morning. A significant development in the case today was that the prosecution will not be trying an additional 2 counts that the defendants had been facing, reducing the number for trial down to 7 of the original 11 counts. The defendants will now be tried on the charges of material support for terrorism, conspiracy to commit terrorism, possession of an incendiary device (4 counts), and solicitation to commit arson.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us
  • Blogmarks
  • Yahoo Buzz

Report on WSM National Conference - Autumn 2013

Anarchist Movement

The WSM had its Autumn national conference in Dublin on the 23rd November. National Conference is the ultimate decision making body in the WSM. It happens every six months usually over a day or two. As well as discussing motions time is also spent on discussing the past six months activity and prospects for the next period. Conference also hears reports of activity from all branches, officers and working groups. This covered areas like the Irish Anarchist Review, WSM Website, Dublin Anarchist Bookfair and our pro-choice and anti racist work.

• Facebook
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Ask
  • Kirtsy
  • LinkedIn
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • SlashDot
  • Reddit
  • MySpace
  • Fark
  • Del.icio.us